Become a Lead to Read KC Reading Mentor. It’s the easiest, most meaningful volunteer experience in Kansas City.
Lead to Read KC reading sessions take place once a week in elementary classrooms. You donate your lunch hour — no evenings or weekends!
Choose the volunteer option that best suits you:
- Reading Mentors are paired with a student and read once a week during the school year. Great relationship building!
- The Shared Volunteer Experience allows friends, colleagues or spouses to partner and share a student. Alternate weeks, or one person can take the lead with the other as a backup.
- Flexible Reading Mentors attend as often as their schedule permits, and fill in for absent volunteers. You’ll be a hero!
Join Kansas City’s largest volunteer literacy corps. Apply online, complete a short training session, and begin reading with a student at a school near your home or office.
Ready to become a Reading Mentor?
- Review our partner schools:
- Apply online.
- Watch for an email from Lead to Read KC with information about next steps, including the required background check.
- Complete an online training session in 15 minutes or less.
- Get paired with a student at a school near your home or office.
- Have questions about the application process? Contact us.
- Check out these awesome Reader Resources.