KMBC Cares for Kids
Lead to Read KC’s mission is to support the social, emotional and reading skills that are foundational for student success by advancing our literacy platform and mobilizing community volunteers. Together we create readers, one lunch hour at a time. View our mission video.
When it comes to purchasing books, Lead to Read KC has buying power. We can purchase diverse, inclusive books at a significant discount.
- $10 buys a new book for a student
- $50 provides site words flashcards for two classrooms
- $100 helps bring an author visit to a school
- $250 sponsors a student for one year of Lead to Read KC
- $500 covers the cost of a reading celebration party at a partner school
Why We’re Needed
Reading is the foundation for all other learning and is essential for a future workforce.
- Just 26% of Kansas City students are proficient in the English language arts
- Children not reading proficiently by the end of the third grade will struggle in all subjects and are 4x more likely to drop out of high school
- 85% of teens in the juvenile justice system are functionally illiterate
What We Do
We are the boots on the ground with four key programs that directly impact students by providing:
- Reading and mentoring support for students in first through third grade who attend high-need schools
- High-dosage, one-to-one tutoring by certified, experienced teachers
- More than 40 free community book distribution sites to encourage reading outside of school
- Mental health and wellness support via author partnerships and school visits