Who We Are
Lead to Read KC was launched in 2011 by Lynn and Jean Rundle. Both former teachers, Lynn and Jean mentored and tutored teens. They realized that many of these very intelligent kids couldn’t read fluently – and a few barely could spell. There had to be a way to help.
Lynn and Jean believed the problem wasn’t just that the kids weren’t reading; it also was that reading didn’t seem relevant to them. After months of research, plus consultation with school principals, teachers, community groups and community members, Lynn and Jean launched Lead to Read KC.
Beginning with a handful of volunteers in several Kansas City-area schools, Lead to Read KC has diversified our program to serve our students and community in new ways. Our program now has four key areas of focus:
- Reading and Mentoring
- Reading For Life Author Partnerships
- Reading Is EverywhereSM Community Book Distribution Initiative
Learn more about what we do.
We stand for inclusiveness, equity, and respect ― and against racism. We will speak up for equity and justice in schools. We operate with the utmost respect for our employees, volunteers and the communities we serve. Learn more.
Lead to Read KC Board of Directors
- Eric Graham, TGP Investments – Chair
- Carol Espinosa, Freedom Interiors – Vice Chair
- Ben Bravence, UMB Bank – Treasurer
- Ellen Pantaenius, Onspring Technologies – Secretary
- David Lowe, Lockton Companies – Past Chair
- Sue Agrawal, Community Volunteer
- Dr. Jennifer Collier, Kansas City Public Schools
- Shawn Creger, Edward Jones
- Holly Jenkins-Long, LISC of Greater Kansas City
- Lynn Rundle, Board Member Emeritus
- Mark Swanson, Burns & McDonnell
- Scott Swezy, American Century Investments
- Tony Temple, Temple Made Fitness
Lynn and Jean Rundle