Reading Mentors: Want to enhance or refresh your skills as a Reading Mentor? It’s all here—everything you need to maximize the time spent with your student.
Parents: In addition to these resources for Reading Mentors, scroll down to view resources geared toward parents to help children become strong readers.
Reading strategy resources
- Active Reading Strategies (Comprehension Video)
- Active Reading Strategies (Comprehension Blog Post)
- Engaging Young Readers (Video)
- Fluency (Video)
- Fluency (Handout)
- Sight Words (Video)
- Sight Words (Handout)
- Tips for Figuring Out a Word / Decoding (Handout)
- Working with Emerging Readers (Video)
Additional mentoring resources
- Getting to Know Your Student: Meaningful Questions to Ask (Handout)
- Working with Students Who Have Experienced Trauma (Handout and links to videos)
- Building Connection and Understanding: 2021 Lunch & Learn (Blog Post)
Toolkit for new Reading Mentors
- Online Orientation / Training — It’s packed with useful information — including many tips from educators and experienced Reading Mentors — and you can complete it in less than 15 minutes. Please email us at [email protected] to confirm completion.
- Hoot Reading Program — Check out our training and how-to guide for our custom app.
- What to Expect at a Reading Session — Prepare for and make the most of each reading session.
Resources for Parents
Let’s help children read every day! Check out the home reading helper from Read Charlotte! And, in addition to the Reading Strategy resources above, view our Reading Resource Page! It includes all our favorite resources.