Reading Mentors: Want to enhance or refresh your skills as a Reading Mentor? It’s all here — everything you need to maximize the time spent with your student.
Parents: In addition to these resources for Reading Mentors, scroll down to view resources geared toward parents to help children become strong readers.
We stand for inclusiveness, equity, and respect ― and against racism. We will speak up for equity and justice in schools. We operate with the utmost respect for our employees, volunteers and the communities we serve. Learn more.
Reading strategy resources
- Active Reading Strategies (Comprehension Video)
- Active Reading Strategies (Comprehension Blog Post)
- Engaging Young Readers (Video)
- Fluency (Video)
- Fluency (Handout)
- Sight Words (Video)
- Sight Words (Handout)
- Working with Emerging Readers (Video)
- Reading a Book Multiple Times (Handout)
Additional mentoring resources
- Getting to Know Your Student (Blog Post)
- Make the Most of Each Reading Mentoring Session (Blog Post)
- Tips and Tools for More Successful Reading Mentoring Sessions: Feb. 2022 Lunch & Learn (Blog Post)
- Connections Matter: 2021 Lunch & Learn (Blog Post)
- Building Connection and Understanding: 2021 Lunch & Learn (Blog Post)
- Working with Students Who Have Experienced Trauma: 2020 Lunch & Learn (Blog Post)
Toolkit for new Reading Mentors
- Online Orientation / Training — It’s packed with useful information—including many tips from educators and experienced Reading Mentors — and you can complete it in less than 15 minutes. Please email us at email@example.com to confirm completion.
- What to Expect at a Reading Session — Prepare for and make the most of each reading session.
Resources for Parents
Let’s help children read every day! Check out the home reading helper from Read Charlotte!