Become a Reading Mentor
Become a Reading Mentor with Lead to Read KC. Apply today! It’s the easiest, most meaningful volunteer experience in Kansas City. Hear Lead to Read KC Reading Mentors and students share their insights about the impact of the program in this short video.
The need for reading and mentoring support is greater than ever! The share of first-graders nationwide in need of intensive intervention in reading hit 40 percent in fall 2020, up from 27 percent in 2019. (Amplify Education Inc.)
View our 2021-22 schedule here!
Learn more about our reading and mentoring program:
Lead to Read KC reading sessions traditionally take place in elementary classrooms once a week. This year, some sessions will be through our enhanced digital reading and mentoring program and some will be in person. You donate a lunch hour—no evenings or weekends! You can choose from a variety of volunteer options:
- Read once a week with a student
- Partner with a friend or colleague to share a student and alternate sessions
- Become a “Flextra” and attend as often as your schedule permits to read with a student whose weekly volunteer needs to miss a session
Stay up to date on the latest news:
- View our partner school map
- Subscribe to our newsletter
- Connect with us: Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn
Learn more about our application process
- Apply online.
- Watch for an email from Lead to Read KC with information about next steps, including completing the required background check.
- Complete our Code of Conduct.
- Complete an online training session in 30 minutes or less.
- Get paired with a student.
Have questions? Contact us.
Want to enhance or refresh your skills as a Reading Mentor? Check out these awesome resources for Reading Mentors.