Become a Reading Mentor
Become a Reading Mentor with Lead to Read KC. Apply today!
The need for reading and mentoring support is greater than ever! The share of first-graders nationwide in need of intensive intervention in reading hit 40 percent in fall 2020, up from 27 percent in 2019. (Amplify Education Inc.)
View our reading session schedule for the 2022-23 school year here and a map of our schools More schools than ever – 24 – have requested our program this year, so we need you!
This school year, we are back to reading with students in person. (There are limited opportunities for virtual sessions.)
Reading Mentoring Program details:
Lead to Read KC reading sessions take place in elementary classrooms once a week. You donate 30 minutes over the lunch hour — no evenings or weekends! You can choose from a variety of volunteer options:
- Read once a week with a student
- Partner with a friend or colleague to share a student and alternate sessions
- Become a “Flextra” and attend as often as your schedule permits to read with a student whose weekly volunteer is absent
Our application process:
- Step 1: Complete the online application form.
- Step 2: Complete the background check. A link will be emailed to you.
- Step 3: Review the current Reading Session Schedule and reply to the email from Hayley Rees with your school choice.
- Step 4: Review the online training video (30 minutes). A link will be emailed to you.
- Step 5: Watch your email for a message from your Site Coordinator with session details.
- Step 6: Attend your first session and meet your student.
- Make a difference in your student’s life and have fun!
Have questions? Contact us.
Hear Lead to Read KC Reading Mentors and students share their insights about the impact of the program in this short video.