Become a Reading Mentor
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, we’re pursuing a parallel path to continue to serve students during this time of historic need:
- Offering a digital reading-based mentoring program
- Continuing our traditional in-classroom program when the time is right
Learn more about opportunities in our 2020-21 program:
Get updates on our program:
Learn more about our in-classroom program
Lead to Read KC reading sessions take place once a week in elementary classrooms. You donate a lunch hour—no evenings or weekends! You can choose from a variety of volunteer options:
- Read once a week with a student
- Partner with a friend or colleague to share a student and alternate sessions
- Become a “Flextra” and attend as often as your schedule permits to read with a student whose weekly volunteer needs to miss a session
Learn more about our application process
- Apply online.
- Watch for an email from Lead to Read KC with information about next steps, including completing the required background check.
- Complete our Virtual Code of Conduct.
- Complete an online training session in 30 minutes or less.
- Get paired with a student.
Have questions about the application process? Contact us.
Want to enhance or refresh your skills as a Reading Mentor? Check out these awesome resources for Reading Mentors.