Become a Reading Mentor
Become a Reading Mentor with Lead to Read KC. Apply today!
WE HAVE AN URGENT NEED at Guadalupe Centers Elementary! Please add “Guadalupe” in the Volunteer Notes section as you fill out the application.
The need for reading and mentoring support is greater than ever. Only 20% of third-grade students in Kansas City public and charter schools are reading proficiently, with the rate for black students even lower at 14%. (Source: Kansas City Action Fund)
More schools than ever – 28 – have requested our program this year, so we need you!
Reading Mentoring Program details:
Lead to Read KC reading sessions take place in elementary classrooms once a week. You donate 30 minutes over the lunch hour — no evenings or weekends! You can choose from a variety of volunteer options:
- Read once a week with a student
- Partner with a friend or colleague to share a student and alternate sessions
- Become a “Flextra” and attend as often as your schedule permits to read with a student whose weekly volunteer is absent
Our application process:
- Step 1: Complete the online application form.
- Step 2: Complete the background check. A link will be emailed to you.
- Step 3: Review the current Reading Session Schedule and reply to the email from Hayley Rees with your school choice.
- Step 4: Review the online training video (30 minutes). A link will be emailed to you.
- Step 5: Watch your email for a message from your Site Coordinator with session details.
- Step 6: Attend your first session and meet your student.
- Make a difference in your student’s life and have fun!
Have questions? Contact us.
Hear Lead to Read KC Reading Mentors and students share their insights about the impact of the program in this short video.
We stand for inclusiveness, equity, and respect ― and against racism. We will speak up for equity and justice in schools. We operate with the utmost respect for our employees, volunteers and the communities we serve. Learn more.